Extra Credit Opportunities - 2nd 9 Weeks
Extra credit due by Friday, December 12. You are encouraged to turn it in earlier than that.
- All writing must be done by hand in blue or black ink (unless, if required by the instructions for a particular assignment, it's being submitted to Safe Assign or otherwise noted).
- Include your full heading and do not cover the heading by stapling something on top of it (like the program for the play review).
- Label it extra credit.
Each of the following is worth up to 10 points on a major grade.
- Go see Murder by Poe and write a 300+ word review of the play. Attach review on top of program.
- Write your own essay (600+ words) for the sample synthesis prompt I gave you on monuments. Type it, submit it to SafeAssign, and turn in your hard copy.
- Videotape your own commercial that utilizes pathos (and logos and ethos) as well as propaganda techniques. Write paragraph explaining your use of pathos and the fallacies you use. This must show ample effort in order to be worth a 10 points. More than one person may work to do it, but the more people involved, the more effort must be shown. Each person in the group must to an equal share of the work.
- Make a book trailer for any of the books or stories we’ve read this year. Include credits at the end that list who did what in the making of the trailer and give appropriate documentation for songs, pictures, and video clips that you did not create yourself. Should be 90 seconds to 3 minutes.
- Watch the Film Lincoln and write 300+ word essay about what surprised you in the film, particularly in regard to what you thought about American history and/or politics of the time period.
- After getting permission from your parents to watch this violent, R-rated film, watch Snowpiercer (available streaming on Netflix). Write a 300+ word essay analyzing how the life depicted on the train is an allegory for life now in our American society or the global society.
- Go see one of our varsity volleyball OR football playoff matches. Write a 300+ word vignette (a brief evocative description, account, or episode) describing the match/game, players, coaches, and crowd. Attach ticket stub to back (i.e. staple your vignette on top of ticket). You may NOT do BOTH a volleyball game and a football game or two of either.
- Photocopy one of the synthesis prompts out of the Cliffs AP English and Language book and write a 600+ word response. Ideally, you would time yourself and do the writing in 40 minutes.
- Complete a Data Sheet (see documents page) for The Scarlet Letter. Turn in hard copy and submit to Safe Assign.